Monday, January 14, 2013

The Power of Words and Love.



Over the past few weeks, I have had this burning passion in my heart to write. I didn't know what to write, or where to start... But I feel that Christ has put two things on my heart, that need to get out. I cannot ignore this burning passion in my heart for much longer. 

Words and love. Both of these notions have such an impact on our lives, in very different ways. 

Socrates once said that, "False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil".

It is the false words that are spoken upon us that leave such a heavy and dark impression on our souls. It is these words, that have infected our youth with rage, unkindness and uncertainty. The negativity of words, have caused the youth of our nation, and of the world to cause great bodily harm to themselves. The youth of our nation, everyday are being told that they are worthless, stupid, not good enough to make the team, that they are too fat, too skinny, they are ugly or their hair just isn't cut right. These words... these words of negativity are the ones that take so much out of someone... Soon these words of negativity somehow turn into truth because whoever is being told that they are worthless, not good enough, fat. . . etc, these words do become their truth. But, these words aren't just being said by bullies, but also by their parents. Now, being told you're not good enough by a peer is one thing, but by a parent? Heartbreaking. I've known kids who were the best at everything, but they weren't happy. They weren't happy because their parents said that their layup wasn't as clean as it could be, or why did they get a 99% on their test instead of a 100%? Everything that is done, is criticized. So, even with the straight A's, being the captain of the basketball team... They felt empty. 


But, I want to tell you... Dear reader, whoever you may be... You are worth more than any amount of gold that is on the face of this earth. Christ, has a bigger plan for you, he knows you inside and out. He knows that through all of your struggles, you WILL be something great. For it is His will that will guide you to exactly where you need to be. He would not have put you in the situation you are currently in if He didn't know exactly where it would take you. You just have to put your faith in Him. 

Words have such a powerful impact on you, your children, your nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents, teachers, and people you meet on the street. So when you meet someone new, speak words of PRAISE upon them. Even if it's as simple as how pretty their smile is. Just, speak PRAISE onto these people... Because if they have never been told that their smile is gorgeous, they will begin to smile more, and with that one smile could change someone else's life around. 

Words are powerful. Use them wisely. If you aren't praising someone, don't say anything to them. You will never know the impact of your words. 

Love has the same power of words; it can either tear you down, or build you up.  Hopefully, when you love, it builds you up. Whether you are with your friends, family, spouse, animals, or you are just sitting by yourself reading, I hope that you are loving with all of your heart. I love my God, my Savior, family friends, and my dogs and cat- Mack, Molly and Felix. These are the relationships that cannot be broken; certainly tested. But never broken. 

Though I have never had a real relationship, I have had dates with men - some of these dates that I went on, were more lesson and blessings then fun. 

One guy that I dated for a couple of months, had a baby (6 months old), he was separated from the mother of the baby, and when I asked him what had happened within their relationship, he would give me the line, she was crazy. Not cool. But, when we would go on dates and out for dinner, he would  ask  me, " I would love to make you pancakes in the morning, do you want to spend the night, and meet my son"? Then, he would go on saying how there would be no sex, and we wouldn't have sex until I was ready. I had told him on numerous occasions that I did not want to have sex with him, even if we were together for years, and we weren't married. I felt that he never respected my decision. So, I broke it off. There would be no more dates, no more coffee, no more anything. I know that he has probably said a few choice words about me to his buddies, but what I say to him is that I hope he finds his way. I hope that when he does find the one that his heart desires, she will be perfect for him, and he can make her his famous chocolate chip pancakes. I ran into him on campus one day, I hardly had anything to say to him, he felt like a stranger. Even though we had once been close, I just felt like I did not know who this man was.

This is what I have learned in the new year- ladies, this goes for you. When a man tells you that he loves you, and expects your body in return, love is the farthest thing from his mind. When your boyfriend/girlfriend truly loves you, they will respect your decision- if your decision is to abstain from sex until marriage, or if you have made a promise to yourself and to God that even though you have lost your way, and did not wait until marriage, but you have chosen not to be promiscuous anymore... He/she will respect you enough to find other ways to love you-- and that is key. Building a relationship is far more important than jumping into bed with someone you met at the bar the night before. 

I feel that in our society, women are expected to be at the disposal of man. But ladies, when God created us, he did not take us from the dirt under Adam's feet to be walked upon, or the air above his head to be more superior than him, but he took us from Adam's rib because we are equal to men. And if the men that you are associating yourself with are men without God in their life, then they are men that you don't really need to be in a relationship with. I know many men who are amazing men without God in their life, and I know my pastors will be reading this, but in all reality... They would be no where with out Christ. 

Just like with words, you have a choice. You have a choice to improve your life. If you are in a relationship that is taking you farther away from Christ, then you need to jump ship, find your way back to dry land, and re-establish yourself with Christ. Once you have put your faith, trust, your life back into Christ, the person that is supposed to love you and ask your father for your hand in marriage, will be there. 

It makes me so sad that it has taken me this long to figure it out, 24 years.. But, I have finally figured it out. Christ's love is forever, and that is something that can never be taken away. 


Whoever reads this, I hope I helped you in some way. I want you to know that you are beautiful, you are good enough, and you are smart enough to conquer anything. 

10 comments:

  1. Awe I love this. You are amazing for sticking up for yourself and sending a positive message. Ever since I've known you in high school you've always been the same way. You're just you and you're so sweet and nice! This was a good thing for me to read before bed... wasn't going to bed in a very good mood, but this helped :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! I am so happy that this helped you get into a better mood. I will certainly be writing much more. I have things in notebooks that need to be let out. I love you darling, and I hope that we can get together soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Bridget! Beautifully written girl. You are such a sweet, beautiful, amazing, and wise woman. I am definitely proud if you for sticking up for yourself. It is so true, if people would speak to lift up others it would make a huge impact in our world. It is also true what you said about men. It's very important to find someone that shares your beliefs. Makes life so much easier and will save you years of struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy!!! I was so afraid to publish this because I have had family come to me so concerned about my "new found faith" in Christ. But, I feel that when Christ puts something on your heart, you have to let it out. And one of my pastors the other night said that if Christ is speaking to you, you have to honor His voice and let it out. Trust in Him. Thank you for supporting me.

      Delete
    2. I don't see anything to be concerned about. Jesus put us on this earth to spread the word. "Go...and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you..." ( Pretty straight forward, right? We're to go out into the world proclaiming the Word of God and the teachings of Christ, "making disciples of all nations." There is nothing wrong with anything you have said. You are a beautiful person Bridget, and I think it is amazing how much you have changed in just a few short months. You WILL find wonderful friends and a wonderful man if you keep this up. It is such a blessing to have fellow Christian friends, who influence good things and lift you up when you need it most. I know mine are.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Katy. I really appreciate your words. We are here to make disciples of all nations. It's the truth. The friends, more like family that I have already made, is amazing. The fellowship, the purity of their hearts... I have never had anything like it. I love it. I don't know why I ever lived any differently. I don't know why I ever lived in sin. I love you, thank you for your support!

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to share one of my favorite quotes with you.
    “A woman’s heart should be so lost in God, that a man must seek Him to find her.”

    It is SO incredibly true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean to delete your comment!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post. God is working in wonderful ways these days

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridget, I know we don't really know each other well, but I want you to know that I have always followed what is going on in you and your brothers' lives. I am so proud of you that you have not only found Christ for yourself, but you are making an impact on others by sharing the Good News. Keep up the good work, cuz!

    ReplyDelete